NEW REGULATIONS PUBLISHED IN THE GOVERNMENT GAZETTE RELATING TO ATTENDING A FUNERAL IN ANOTHER METROPOLITAN AREA, DISTRICT OR PROVINCE DURING THE LOCK-DOWN PERIOD:
1. On 2 April 2020, the Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, Dr Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, made the following regulations in terms of Section 27(2) of the Disaster Management Act, 2002, relating to movement of individuals who wish to attend a funeral in another City, District or Province during the lockdown period.
2. Regulation 11B has been amended to provide for relaxation of gatherings, only in the event where the gathering is a funeral as provided in sub regulation (8)
2.1 Therefore movement between Cities, Districts and or Provinces is prohibited except for the Transportation of a Deceased, and or for attendance of a Funeral.
2.2 Such movement shall only be allowed if a person so wishing to attend a funeral falls in the below categories:-
spouse or partner of the deceased;
child of the deceased, whether biological, adopted or stepchild;
child-in-law of the deceased;
parent of the deceased whether biological, adopted or stepparent;
sibling, whether biological, adopted or stepbrother or sister of the
grandparent of the deceased; and
person closely affiliated to the deceased. And closely affiliated means:
A person with parental responsibilities and rights in respect of the deceased: or
A person who had developed a significant relationship based on caregiving, psychological or emotional attachment to the deceased.
3. The said attendance at a funeral or cremation is limited to 50 people and no night vigil shall be held and that all safety hygiene measures are strictly adhered to.
4. Each person, whether traveling alone or not, wishing to attend a funeral or cremation and who has to travel between Cities, District areas, or between Provinces to attend a Funeral, or a cremation must obtain a permit from his or her nearest Magistrate’s office or Police station to travel to the funeral or cremation and back.
5. Remember only 2 family members or a person with a close affiliation to the deceased may, with the required permits; accompany the vehicle transporting the deceased to the place where the burial or cremation will take place.
Do not hesitate to contact us for further clarity or any assistance with regards to getting the necessary permits.